Student Transfer

Student transfer requests for must be made during the application period for accommodation planning purposes. For more information please read the Student Transfer Parent Guide.  
Frequently Asked Questions (Policy P.077.PLG
Q: What is my “designated” school? 
A: The designated school is the school your child is eligible to attend as a result of where you live and the location of the educational program in which your child is enrolled.
Q: What if I want my child to attend another school?
A: A parent/guardian or a student who is 18 years of age or older may apply for a cross boundary transfer for a student to attend a school other than the designated school.
Q: How do I apply for a transfer?
A: In order to apply for a transfer, your child must be registered at their designated school in the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Once you have obtained a student identification number (OEN), you must then contact the school that you are seeking a transfer to and advise them that you wish to request a transfer. A transfer application form must be completed and returned to that school principal during the application period.
Q: Is it first come, first served?
A: No, every application will be reviewed on an individual basis. It is a criteria-based approval process for elementary and secondary student transfer applications.
Q: What are the criteria for student transfers?
A: All student transfer applications are considered based on the following criteria:
Elementary Students:
·         particular learning needs of or requirements placed on the student; and/or
·         exceptional personal circumstances.
Secondary Students:
·         particular learning needs of or requirements placed on the students; and/or
·         exceptional personal circumstances; and/or
·         access to a course package that is not available at the student’s designated school. Please note: This includes transfer requests at the Grade 9 level in order to access a course package that does not commence until grade 10 in the receiving school.
Q: What is a “particular learning need?”
A: We understand that the learning needs of every child are unique. In most circumstances, the learning needs of students can be met in any of our schools. The transfer policy is designed to provide an opportunity for those students whose learning needs could be better met in a different learning environment
Q: What is a student transfer cap?
A: The student transfer cap is the maximum number of student transfers that a school is authorized to accept. Each school has a limitation which is set on an annual basis.
Q: My child is currently at a school on a transfer. His/her sibling is entering into Grade 9. Will his/her sibling automatically be eligible to attend the same school?
A: No. Siblings have to apply for a transfer and provide the academic or personal reasons for the transfer.
Q: What is the process for appealing a decision?
A: In consultation with the Superintendent of Instruction responsible for the receiving school, receiving principals have the discretion to approve a student transfer in response to student need in light of very exceptional personal circumstances.

Q: Where can I get more information?
A: Your school principal is always available to help with your questions. Our Admissions Department is also available to help at 613- 596-8211 ext. 8731.
Q: What about schools included within the Eastern Secondary and Western Area Reviews?
A: You should complete the paperwork within the established timeframe. Fill out the application during the regular time period for the school you wish your child to attend. If the results of the Student Learning and Pupil Accommodation Review are such that you no longer require a cross-boundary transfer, you can always remove the application. Boundary application decisions will be communicated after the accommodation review decisions have been finalized. 
The student transfer policy and procedures are also available on our website at under About Us – Policies, Procedures and Forms. Please refer to:
POLICY P.077.PLG – Designated Schools/Student Transfers Policy
PROCEDURE PR.568.PLG – Designated Schools/Student Transfers Procedure - Elementary
PROCEDURE PR.569.PLG – Designated Schools/Student Transfers Procedure - Secondary
Please note: The forms (OCDSB 118E - Elementary and OCDSB 118S - Secondary) are available for pick up at all schools. Forms available on our website are SAMPLES only. Parents/guardians must complete the multiple part form available at schools and return to the receiving school principal during the application period.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.