Adults: Get Your High School Diploma

The Continuing Education Department can help you open doors to your future and identify the path that is right for you. Earn your Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or prepare for college/university entrance.

We offer

If you are a Newcomer to Canada or Ontario: The Province of Ontario wishes to help those newcomers, who aim to acquire an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), by using the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) process to recognize newcomers' past achievements. Please see information below about the PLAR process.

If you are interested in our High School Credit programs please fill out the request form below or call 613-239-2620.

Request for Information for OCDSB Continuing Education High School Credit Programs

Virtual Night School

Virtual night school classes are open to adults and students in all school boards.

For more information and to see our course offerings please visit

Co-operative Education

If you are 18 years of age or older and working part-time or full-time and not enrolled in a regular high school, you are eligible to register in the Cooperative Education program. If your employer is supportive, you can use your current job to help you earn high school credits. Individuals who volunteer with registered charities or publicly funded institutions may also enroll in the Cooperative Education program.

What documents do I need in order to register in the Cooperative Education program? 

  • academic transcript or any academic record
  • proof of address in Ontario
  • a resumé

Why do I need these documents?

Both your Co-op Teacher and your Educational Advisor need this information. Co-op credits must be linked to high school courses that have been successfully completed or to a course that is currently being taken at night school. The resumé is reviewed by your Co-op teacher and suggestions for improvement are provided.  If you are unable to access some of these documents, the Educational Advisor will discuss your options with you.

How many Co-op credits can I earn?

You can obtain up to four Co-op credits in a semester. The Educational Advisor will discuss your options with you.

When can I apply and begin the program?

The program’s registration and startup is continuous throughout the school year.

Is there a cost for this program?

This program is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Education. Adult Co-op is free for Ontario residents.

Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) and Mature Student Evaluation (MSE)

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) and Mature Student Evaluation (MSE) are formal evaluation and credit-granting processes for mature students who are registered in a high school credit program and  would like to earn an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Your age and where you received your original education will determine which process will be used.

Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)

Students who received their education outside Ontario or who entered an Ontario Secondary School after 1999 are eligible for PLAR.

  • Email to arrange an appointment with an Educational Advisor. The Advisor will discuss your options with you and develop an education pathway. 
  • Gather all personal records on school and work and share them with the Educational Advisor. If your records are in another language, you must have them professionally translated into English.
  • You and the Educational Advisor will complete a registration in a credit course to get you started
  • Submit your PLAR application, with your personal records, to the Educational Advisor.
  • The Educational Advisor will advise you of the credit courses that you will be awarded and determine which courses you still need to take to complete the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)

Mature Student Evaluation (MSE)

Students who attended a secondary school in Ontario prior to 1999 can apply for maturity credits through the MSE. 

To apply for maturity credits (MSE) you will need:

  • a copy of your Ontario school records
  • a resume
  • other certificates or diplomas
  • apprenticeship papers

Email to arrange an appointment with an Educational Advisor. The Advisor will discuss your options and develop an education pathway with you.

Independent Study

Independent Study Program offers an opportunity to work on a credit course independently with some face-to-face course facilitator support.

The Independent Study Program can be combined with Night School or the Co-operative Education Program to help you reach your goals.

Please email for more information or call 613-239-2620.

Contact Us

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.